Where Everything Comes Together.

:D

Monday, May 17, 2010

Here Be Dragons!

It's really no secret that I love dragons. They've become the harbingers of the world of fantasy, and they mean something different for every culture. And also think that dragons existed in one form or another all over the world, when some cultures had no way of communicating with one another.
And so, I dedicate this blog post to the universal concept of the Dragon.

Mythologicae puts a fun spin on the ideas of dragons and fairies. Artist Thomas Davies creates and sells these pieces, and sometimes along with Renae Taylor, who is also one of my favorite artists. The hatchling you see here is just adorable! But what about when it grows up? Imagine what an adult would look like.


Next up is a water serpent, placed on a vintage locket by chinookhugs. This kind of dragon has a more refined, ornate look to him, perfect for a steampunk look or for people looking for a bit of a romantic mariner theme.

And of course, after reading Where the Mountain Meets the Moon by Grace Lin, I have a newfound love for the Chinese Dragon. Carried by LOOSEPARTS, this stunning medallion shows the winding, curving form of a revered spirit.




-----

And now, for a bit of an Etsy reflection. Have you ever hearted an item, and looked at it in your favorites section, feeling more attached to it as time goes on? Have you ever had your heart drop to finally see that SOLD label stuck on to it? Sometimes I wish I had all the money in the world just so I could surround myself with one-of-a-kind pieces of art, so I could have that care and beauty around me always, and also so I could support independent artists.

No comments:

Post a Comment